Sunday, January 5, 2014

Toilet paper covers

My husband is a member of the Antioch Shrine temple here in Ohio.  He loves being a Shriner and regularly lists it as one of his most proud accomplishments.  He puts lots of time it, often saying things like, Our kids have it pretty good.  I feel like I should help kids that legitimately need it.

During our Shrine club meeting in November, one of the guys mentioned that they needed door prizes for the Christmas party the following month.  I quickly volunteered, remembering a pattern that I saw for fez  toilet paper roll cover.  I then contacted my friend Salli, to see if there was a way that she could embroider the shrine logo for me.  To simplify the process, I decided to have a mono-chromatic emblem, which made it easier for her, also.
Here is the result:
The pattern I found originally called for it to be knitted top down, which made me stabby, as it's difficult to size diameter of a knitted object on dpns.  So I bought (or, more accurately, made my husband buy)  a package of toilet paper, and then just did test covers until one fit properly without looking like a circa 1920's woman's hat instead of a fez.
So, in case you want to knit a toilet paper fez, here's how I do it! (measurements to fit the Angelsoft double rolls.)

You will need:
Sz 7 circular needles (16" cable)
Sz 7 dpns
row start stitch marker (I use the rad locking ones from Knitpicks)
scrap yarn for provisional cast-on
Tassle / floss to make tassle
 Embroidered emblem (optional)

What I did:
Provisionally cast on 63 stitches with the method of your choosing (I just do a long tail cast on with the scrap yarn, then cut it out later.  I'm not sure if it saves me any time in the long run, but there is something strangely cathartic about cutting out a provisional cast on.  Maybe I'm just weird)
row 1-5 -  knit
row 6  - purl
row 7-11 - knit
row 12 - Pick up stitch held by provisional cast on with left needle, then k2tog with stitch already on left needle.  Continue with all stitches
Next, knit for 4.5".
At this point, I start the decreases and switch to dpns.  I use 3 dpns, working 3 decrease repeats on each needle
row 1 - (k5, k2tog) x 9
row 2 - knit
row 3 - (k4, k2tog) x 9
row 4 - knit
row 5 - (k3, k2tog) x 9
row 6 - knit
row 7 - (k2, k2tog) x 9
row 8 - k
row 9 - (k1, k2tog) x9
row 10 - knit
row 11 - k2tog across

Cut yarn and draw thru remaining stitches and cinch shut.
Weave in ends
Cut out provisional cast on
Attach tassle to top and glue emblem (optional)

When I do these with emblems, I always use the liquid stitch stuff.  You know... in case of any unfortunate toilet accidents.

***As a random side note, I just ate an entire bag of Cashew Poppycock.  I'm embarrassed to say this is not the worst dietary decision that I have ever made.***


No comments:

Post a Comment