Thursday, January 17, 2013

Shawls!

I'm not sure why... but I keep finding things that I want to knit and keep pushing off making socks.  It may be because there are two of them... like... you get one done, and it's all like this:


HOORAY!!!!!
"  "  "
AWWWWW!!!! I'm only HALF done... Hemmeny heeeeeeeeee...


So... I was at our local yarn store, shopping around for things that I really don't need, and there was a sample of this shawl.  It was love at first sight.  It was made with this yarn and just so gorgeous.  Seriously.  It's amazing how wide the range of emotions is when you knit.  A FO can invoke the most intense emotion.
I had to create one of these for my very own.
Having never made  a shawl before, the whole process foreign.  Extraordinarily intimidated, I purchased the yarn and pattern, and jumped in with  both feet.

First was the garter tab.  I didn't really understand how shawls come to have their shape, so after I followed the directions to begin this new adventure... it didn't really look how (in my mind's eye) it should.  Shouldn't it  be more pointy?  Don't you work shawls from the bottom up?  Isn't this how it works?  I've been knitting for a year... surely I know how it should look.
Nope.
Shawls are weird.  And brilliant.
I'm half done with mine.  I have been knitting in every free moment that I have to try  and finish it so I can wear it.  I want to wear it everywhere.  Seriously.  I might get another color this weekend so I can have some variety.

I should really start some socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment